Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Old Man and The Sea Book Review


Old Man and The Sea
Ernest Hemingway
Scribner Paperback Fiction 1952
Fiction
Man vs Sea



The Old Man and The Sea is about an old man named Santiago who goes out to sea to try and catch marlins.  But he doesn't know that he will have such troubles doing such.  When he finally catches his prize marlin after a 3 day journey he has to fight off sharks while trying to bring in his great marlin.  When he gets back his precious marlin is almost no more, almost all bone.  So it’s almost like it was for nothing but it was something to Santiago.  

“The tale that is told is so clearly told that a very young child can understand it. It is so marvelously told that an adult can marvel over it. When my daughter was six, I read this to her, and he loved it”-Robert Moore
I like this part of Robert’s review because it actually tells about his daughter who is six and she loved it.  I thought the book was good and i would recommend it if someone liked this type of book.
A quote from “Usually when he smelled the land breeze he woke up and dressed to go wake up the boy.” I picked this quote because the writing style is very descriptive and I can tell that that is what the whole book was going to be like from that one line.
The book the Old Man in The Sea reminds me of the book The Cay because i tied the two main characters together.  They both had to fight to get what they wanted whether it be food a prize catch or even shelter.  
The quote from page 38 means that a man can be down or feels like he failed or broken but the true story is that he is never broken he keeps fighting.  
I rate this book a 3 paws because i thought it was good but i probably read it again.




4 comments:

  1. 1.) I agree about the amazon review thing but the issue is that because someone can read something doesn't mean that they understand it..
    2.)For the quote you chose I saw in my mind a man who has been beaten down many times in his life but waking up never the less to face the challenge of life again despite these odds.
    3.)I was also reminded about what makes a good review as the amazons reviews broke my soul
    4.)This also makes this review a shining light to other reviewers to strive for.
    5.)I wonder why you thought it was good
    6.)Now I wonder what would happen if the man had caught that marlin tell em what you think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the Amazon review as well, this book also reminded me of The Cay that we read in sixth grade haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your reflecton and I do think it was a good book

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your amazon quote and with your example of your cay book. I also agree with the old man and the sea is like the cay because they both have a lot to prove by being there.

    ReplyDelete